March 25, 2010

Toddler Nutrition

 My hubbin and I have been doing a program called Y-Be-Fit, which calls for a good look at your nutritional intake, and I realized that I hardly know anything (other than 5 a day the color way) about what my toddlers need.

I do know that hot dogs are no good as a staple (though bless the things - whatever they're made of; my husband and kids would prefer them to almost every other food) I want the nitty gritty on vitamins and serving amounts, you know, specifics,  for the needs of my family. So, after a bit of research, I give you this:

The AAP ( American Academy of Pediatrics )  recommends that children age 1 to 3 years get about 40 calories per inch of height a day.
  
If you'd like a few delicious lunch meal ideas, toddlers love these ones

Toddlers are prone to blood sugar swings and need refueling to maintain themselves more often than we may realize.  That makes 'grazing' really important. (see wholesometolddlerfoods.com for more info).
So, in an attempt to give them what they need, I cooked up this tasty dinner, thank you allrecipes.com:

Sweet mashed potatoes, salad, orange cauliflower, and Pork medallions with dijon sauce (except I used pork stew meat - nice and cheap).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for speaking up!

UA-51076917-1