April 28, 2014

10 ways to dethrone anxiety

This post was written and posted in April.  Then 10 days or so later, my sweet daughter accidentally deleted the content. Lesson learned.  Here is the very similar post that was originally published.

I began my struggle with anxiety shortly after being diagnosed with a brain tumor.  I was only 30 and had 3 small kids.  My family needed me and I wasn't ready for that kind of health problem.  I had surgery the next month, and my surgeons were brilliant.  I had the best care I could ask for, but what should've been a 3 day hospital stay turned to 2 weeks, as my body grappled with the side effects.  Between monitors going off, and my blood pressure crashing, I was a basket case.  All I wanted to do was be with my little family home again, healthy and able.

As anxiety set in I searched high and low for ways to understand what was going on.  Bloggers don't generally blog about anxiety because, well, it makes them anxious.  I found several medical articles on how to deal with it, but I wanted someone to say that they had anxiety but got better. I couldn't find it.  Even friends who dealt with it on an intense level just kind of grimaced, patted me on the shoulder and said 'you learn to deal with it'.  I wasn't encouraged.

Anxiety has a way of ruling our lives.  It's been years, and with several techniques and God's help, I live happily.  I have for a while now.  It doesn't flare up so often any more, and when it does, I know better how to handle it.  It's never pleasant, but it's so much better.  Here's what I've learned.

10 ways to dethrone anxiety



1. Learn what Anxiety is.  Anxiety is neither terminal nor are you crazy for having it.  It's not incurable, and doesn't have to rule your life.  Research what anxiety in general does to people.  In it's own right, anxiety is a natural and beneficial thing.  It makes us more alert in true emergencies.  It heightens our senses and allows us to do inhuman feats when needed.  Like lift a car to free someone.  It makes sense that anxiety also makes your heart race until it feels like it will burst.  Knowing somehow helps when you feel panicked.  Go here for more information on anxiety and it's symptoms.

2. Learn your triggers

3. Make a plan

4. Involve people you love

5. Get a doc & take your medicine

6. Meditate

7. Make a gratitude journal

8. Give yourself time

9. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for speaking up!

UA-51076917-1